Saturday, July 25, 2020

Town BBQ

     Growing up in the little town of Washington there was always a town BBQ to raise funds for the Volunteer Fire Department.
     The menu consisted of half a chicken,  There were sides made by various people in town. The side dishes would be something like baked beans, corn bread, rolls, coleslaw or salad. Diane Petty made home made root beer for us kids.
     At some point there would be a raffle for prizes. Big Steve donated some gold jewelry he had made. There would also be a quilt dinner at the Washington hotel. There were other prizes as well even if I don't always remember what they were.
     The rest of the evening we danced the night away as a live band would play in front of the fire house.  It was not only towns people that attended this it was open to tourists as well. I know there were a few girls that came camping with their family that I would dance with.
     Overall a good time was had by all. Sometimes I could get into some good conversations with people like Charlie Brown  or just about anyone. If I got home Late I might just sleep out under the stars ina sleeping bag and look at the stars as I drifted off to sleep. I did love my summers there.

No comments: